Remember the last time you heard this:
Pursuant to Section 49, Subsection 7E, Paragraph A of the Parliamentary Elections Act, I declare...
Remember the monotonous returning officer Yam Ah Mee?
And here it is on the Internet... Wait for it...
Clearly the best of GE2011, considering how I wasn't that interested in politics then.
But here we are in 2015, with the most recent election held on September 11.
And we have a new returning officer, which rose to fame similarly on the Internet almost immediately when people noticed the uncanny resemblance to...
So much for K-variety influence!
After so long, you would have realised how EASY it is to get something up on the Internet! Be it something good, bad, or even the littlest things like the above that get us amused.
With the Internet being so easily available to us in this age, I think that politicians are like tightrope walkers on the Internet, where every action must be conscientiously deliberated.
Just one wrong move, can lead them into the dungeons even before polling day comes.
And we have one not-very-fine example in this very election of our own.
Here's some background:
Macpherson SMC, three-cornered fight between WP, NSP, PAP
What happened: NSP candidate Mr C said during an interview that PAP candidate Ms T had just became a mother, and her being a mother is a weakness. He explained that if voters choose her, she might focus more on her child than on her voters.
Source: Tin Pei Ling's new status as a mum is a weakness: Cheo
Hah. Seems like normal political rivalry in action right? Guess you were utterly wrong. This didn't just take aim at the PAP candidate herself, but many others (especially working mothers) felt offended to have their status of a mother and an working adult labelled as a weakness.
Ms T had also took it to social media Facebook to post her response to his insensitive comments.
Last night, Mr Cheo Chai Chen in his rally speech said my new status as a mum is a weakness (see below). I disagree.
I am committed to MacPherson. I returned to work soon after delivery (two weeks to be more exact) because I want to continue to serve. I am confident that even as a mum I can continue to focus on my work in MacPherson.
Many comments poured in from the public, and that probably lost quite a number of votes for the man who was running for election, to represent the people.
I guess people would not want their representative to be one who downplays a particular group of people who are part of the community nonetheless?
And to make things worse, he later clarified that it was a JOKE, not meant to be taken seriously.
In my mind it ran: what is he trying to say now? True enough, his words were copied and pasted all over the Internet, like the spreading of wildfires just that we're not in Australia hmmm....
I think this makes the Internet look like a pretty dark place to be in if you're involved in politics right, but there are successful examples as well!
During the campaigning period, many candidates (from the various parties) made use of social media to engage with their voters, updating their whereabouts, updating about their plans for the community etc.Through engaging in social media through the Internet, the candidates are able to rope in volunteers to help out physically, or provide keyboard warrior support for the party or the candidate in particular. We also see people sharing the posts, and even seeing loads of wefies of the candidates with a bunch a people who are just like you and me!
The Internet is also a good platform to listen to voices of the ground, regardless of it being positive of negative (which seems to be the case, in this most recent election at the very least).
However, candidates ought to know one thing.
I know right, keyboard warriors are deceiving.
Though I didn't get to vote this time round, one of the most watched constituency this election - Aljunied GRC, I saw the unfolding of issues on the Internet right before me.
Like... the AHPETC issue, the many many analogies used in response to X to Y and to Z, widely circulated on the Internet.
Yes, it might have sparked my interest in politics for once.
I was a little interested in the last election but back then I only knew my own GRC well (cause it was the topic of the town, and it STILL IS.)
This time round I found myself following the news as if I was voting everywhere hahaha! (Then the irony comes that I can't even vote in my own area)
But no, the Internet can also bring negative impacts to politics when it is in excess use. I'm serious.
When you see like day after day, reading postings about the AHPETC issue again and again (albeit it is a main thing to talk about and pull votes), it gets tiring.
And nearing polling day, I was gradually turning to the "I don't care about this anymore, I want to know the final conclusion but meanwhile this is getting a little too much" attitude.
And the last thing that you want people to see on the Internet, while looking up for your campaigns is this:
It's only nomination day, chill yo! But before you know it, everything it up on the internet, at your disadvantage.
Next week, I'll be sharing some stuff about internet and journalism!
Till then, please be wary of the things you write on the Internet! The digital footprints are here to stay!

I MISS YAM AH MEEEE. I've seen the video countless of time but whenever I watched. I literally LOL #sorrybutitsreallyfunny :p
ReplyDelete