Let me share with you all what was my first reactions towards this term Augmented Reality:
I had learnt the term "augmented" few years back when I was still taking piano lessons which had the theory component as well.
+
What I hear about augmented reality, is that it's a money generator!So here was I wondering, so how in the world do you make money based on just these "beansprouts" that make music!
BOOM! I was obviously wrong!
[Augmented reality is] an enhanced version of reality created by the use of technology to overlay digital information on an image of something being viewed through a device (as a smartphone camera)
And so I thought such cool stuffs can only been seen overseas, like Layar wasn't a Singapore thing, nor was the Oculus Rift.
But then I ran a search on google (as always, it's our best friend!) and found some really cool stuff done IN SINGAPORE (#SG50, kidding)
In order of coolness:
1. Tiger Beer (Nope, this isn't rated)
But, I DIDN'T KNOW DHOBY GHAUT HAD SUCH STUFF two years ago!
Imagine if the wall was on the one nearer to the travellator hahaha! I think many of them would be going against the flow of the travellator to play with the wall, disrupting traffic haha!
So next up, we have a business plan presented through augmented reality!
And I checked the upload date, five years ago!
2. SingTel
The quality of the video isn't that great, possibly due to the technology back then being not so well-developed. Nonetheless, it seemed like
This is a classic by the way. MAGIC!
So yeah, it's unbelievable how such cool stuff were already used in Singapore five years ago and even used to promote a business proposal about cloud computing! Futuristic at its finest!
It makes imagination and perception so much easier when you have augmented reality presented right in front of your eyes!
And so.... topping the list of coolness and unbelievable-ness (if such word actually exists) would be this!
3. Augmented Reality Winter Wonderland at Marina Square.
Ohwait, did you just say... Marina Square?
The one that went on news because of having rats in their buffet trays? (Well, thats not augmented reality, that IS reality)So yes, you heard me right!
Two years ago, Marina Square became a place for shoppers to explore, to put themselves into the wonderland of Santa and polar bears through the various spots in the mall with augmented reality fixtures.
Just look at the polar bears omg!
Why didn't we know this earlier! (Oh but back then I was having national examinations I doubt I would be there)
But on hindsight, it's great that malls are even adopting AR to attract the crowd to the malls, and leaving shoppers with wonderful memories!
So.... Singapore isn't that backward after all?
After learning and looking at so many examples, here are some important points:
1. Augmented Reality is not just about generating revenue
With it being something relatively new, it gets the attention and interests of the general public and at the same time advertisers would be looking out for these technology to make their businesses develop and progress to the next level.
2. Augmented Reality is the future you imagine it to be
You have the choice to manipulate what's on your device! Up to your own understand, your own exploration, your very own adventures! Though it might have a standard set of scenes to put yourself into, whatever you do with what you are presented it entirely your own choice and have differing outcomes from individual to individual!
3. Augmented Reality changes how we live
This is probably a downside, as we are already being very much connected with our devices at this point in time. As we continue to explore augmented reality, we rely even more on our devices. Just look at Layar, you need a phone, an app, for you to play around with what you see in front of you. That's gonna make us even more glued to our screens though!
Sidenote: even our HDB is keeping up with the times!
Check this out: HDB App reality feature
See you next week as we talk about more about the Internet!
Wth this is damn cool I didn't know SG has so many AR applications! Anyway the dhoby ghaut thing still have recently I saw it was some tourism thing haha
ReplyDelete